You are here

Important change from 1 July 2017

From 1 July 2017, you do not need to fill in a separate form to apply for a pensioner exemption/concession. Your application is part of our all-in-one digital duties form.

General information

You can receive a one-off duty exemption/concession as an eligible pensioner when you buy a new or established home valued up to $750,000 to live in as your principal place of residence (PPR).

Assistance is also available when you are buying your first home, and when you are buying a property jointly with someone else (such as a partner or spouse).

To be eligible for the pensioner exemption/concession, you must:

  • Hold a relevant concession card at the property settlement date,
  • Have never before received a pensioner exemption/concession in Victoria,
  • Buy the property for market value, and
  • Intend to live in the home as your PPR

If you also qualify for the First Home Owner Grant, you must elect to receive either the first-home buyer duty reduction or the pensioner exemption/concession – whichever is worth more. You cannot receive both. 

Eligible pensioners who have not claimed the exemption/concession and paid full duty can apply for refund. The declaration must be lodged within five years of the date the duty was paid. You should use SRO Duties Form 8F to apply for your refund.



Gather required information

You will need the following information to apply for your pensioner exemption/concession as part of the digital duties form:

  • Particulars of the transactions, including title details, land use entitlements (if applicable), type of property and transfer (related parties),
  • Occupancy requirement of the property,
  • Previous claims and eligibility, and
  • Concession card details of all applicants

Additionally, you need to submit these documents with your application:

  • Original and completed transfer of land, or land use entitlement form, and
  • A copy of both sides of your concession card

For dwellings constructed after transfer, you must also supply:

  • Complete copy of the certificate of occupancy showing the mandatory inspection stages, and
  • Complete copy of the building contract (if applicable), or
  • Receipts and a statement itemising construction costs not referred to in the building contract if you are an owner/builder

For transactions where the vendor and the transferee are associated or related parties, you must also supply:

  • Proof of payment of the purchase monies and evidence of the market value

If you are applying for a refund (using Form 8F), you must also supply:

  • Copy of the registered transfer showing the Land Victoria dealing numbers, and
  • Complete copy of the contract, including all special conditions

Complete your form

The digital duties form can be completed on screen. If you are a registered user of Duties Online you can create a form under the ‘Create’ tab in the system.

Alternatively, if you are an individual you must register and lodge via the public lodgement system on our website. Registration is a simple process. You can electronically lodge scanned documents for a land transfer or declaration of trust via our website after you register with us

If you are applying for a refund using Duties Form 8F, that form must be completed online and lodged electronically

Next steps

We will issue a duty assessment once we have verified all documentation and calculations.

You should maintain all relevant evidence for at least five years.