This calculator will determine the duty payable on the dutiable value of a motor vehicle.
Terms and conditions
- This calculator may only be used for reference purposes.
- While the State Revenue Office makes every attempt to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the automatic calculations provided in this service, you will acknowledge that there may be instances where the State Revenue Office is required to recalculate the figures submitted for assessment.
- Note that these terms and conditions of usage should be read in conjunction with the disclaimer contained in the website.
- There may be certain components in the calculator which may be the subject of other intellectual property rights reserved by the SRO or other third parties. No licence is granted in respect of these intellectual property rights.
- Any copies of the information, products, technology or processes must retain copyright and other intellectual property notices contained in the original material.
While the State Revenue Office makes every attempt to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information, products, technology or processes contained in this web site, the information, products, technology or processes should not be relied upon or used as a substitute for formal advice from the originating bodies or departments.
The information, products, technology or processes on the State Revenue Office website are provided on the basis that all persons accessing the site undertake responsibility for assessing the relevance and accuracy of its content, usage and result.
The use of or reliance on the information, products, technology or processes are subject to other terms and conditions to be found on this website.
The State Revenue Office, its employees and agents will not be responsible for any direct or indirect loss, howsoever caused or arising from the use of, or reliance on the information, products, technology or processes. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any information, products, technology, processes or services which may appear on any linked web sites in the internet.
When you buy a used vehicle
After you have taken delivery of a used motor vehicle from a licensed motor car trader (LMCT), the LMCT must lodge at VicRoads the application for transfer of registration that you signed, together with the motor vehicle duty and transfer fee amounts that were included in the vehicle's sale price.
The application form and fees must be lodged within 14 days of the vehicle's delivery date.
Once VicRoads has received the registration transfer application, you should soon receive a vehicle registration transfer confirmation slip. This confirms that you are the vehicle’s registered owner and shows the amount of motor vehicle duty and transfer fee paid by the LMCT.
If you have not received a confirmation slip within six weeks of buying your vehicle, we recommend you contact your LMCT in the first instance to ask why the vehicle registration has not been transferred into your name. If you are not satisfied with the LMCT's explanation, you should phone VicRoads on 13 11 71.