You are here

The trustee of a unit trust scheme can apply to register the scheme as a declared public unit trust scheme to gain concessionary treatment under the landholder provisions of the Duties Act 2000.

Generally, the Commissioner will register a unit trust scheme as a public unit trust scheme where the scheme does not quite meet the criteria of a public unit trust scheme, but is considered to be public in its nature and purpose.


Determine your eligibility

The Commissioner has issued ruled on general issues in relation to trust registrations and factors taken into account when determining whether a scheme should be registered as a declared public unit trust scheme. Before seeking registration as a declared public unit trust scheme, you should review these rulings and the relevant factors, which include:

  • Whether the scheme was established for a particular investor or group of investors,
  • Whether units in the scheme were issued to the public/an appreciable section of the public,
  • The degree of ownership and/or control a particular investor or group of investors has/have over the scheme,
  • The total number of unit holders in the scheme and whether units are widely held by persons who are not associated with each other, and
  • Whether the purpose and nature of the scheme is effectively public

Complete your application form

If the scheme is eligible to be registered as a declared public unit trust scheme, this Application for Registration as a Declared Public Unit Trust Scheme Form 60 must be completed by the trustee of the scheme:

  • On screen, printed and signed, or
  • Downloaded as a PDF, printed, completed and signed

Either way, the form must be signed by or on behalf of the trustee prior to lodgement.

If you need assistance, please contact the Landholder Acquisitions Branch on 03 9628 0123.


Gather your supporting documents

You need to send the following supporting documents with your application form:

  • A copy of the trust deed for the unit trust scheme, including all schedules and amending deeds,
  • All documentation identifying the nature and purpose of the unit trust scheme and who could and has applied for units in the scheme (i.e. prospectus, product disclosure statement or information memorandum),
  • A copy of the unit trust scheme’s statement of financial performance (profit and loss statement) and statement of financial position (balance sheet) for the last three financial years,
  • A copy of the unit trust scheme’s register of unit holders at the application date, and
  • If registration is being sought from a date prior to the date of application, a copy of the scheme’s register of unit holders as at that earlier date and full and precise details of all acquisitions of units in the scheme from that date

Lodge your application

The application form and supporting documents should be marked to the attention of The Manager, Landholder Acquisitions Branch and can be lodged either by mail or email:



State Revenue Office
GPO Box 1641,
VIC 3001


State Revenue Office
DX 260090

Next steps

We will send a written acknowledgement when we receive your application form and supporting documents. We will notify you if we require further information.