You are here

You may receive a decision relating to your application for the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) that you disagree with. If this happens, you can lodge an objection to that decision with us.

What is an objection?

An objection is a formal process for resolving disputes between you and us about our decision. You may lodge an objection if you disagree with a decision made by us:

  • Reversing or varying an earlier decision regarding your FHOG application,
  • Requiring you to repay a FHOG, and/or
  • Imposing a penalty amount

Lodge an objection

As an objection is a more formal process, there are certain rules you must follow. Your objection must be in writing.

Supporting evidence

You must state the grounds for your objection fully and in detail. You should clearly identify the decision you are objecting to and your grounds for disputing it.

You should include relevant documentation supporting your grounds of objection. Depending on your circumstances and the nature of your objection, relevant supporting documentation may include utility notices or an insurance policy for content insurance which establish your residency at a particular property.

When should you lodge?

Your written objection must be lodged with us within 60 days after the date of the notice of the decision.

Objections lodged out of time

If you wish to lodge an objection outside the 60-day time period, you must write to us requesting for permission to lodge an out-of-time objection.

Your application must detail the circumstances and reasons that have prevented you from lodging your objection within the 60-day time period, your grounds of objection should contain any relevant supporting documentation.

Our decision to grant or refuse permission to lodge an objection outside of the 60 day period will be made by a person independent of the original decision-maker. It will be based on information provided by you as well as other information available to us.

If we refuse permission to lodge an out-of-time objection, we will advise you in writing and provide you with reasons for our decision.


Your objection will be dealt with by a person independent of the original decision-maker.

They will use the information provided by you, as well information from other sources such as the Australian Taxation Office and revenue offices from other states and territories, to make their decision.

You will receive a written notice of determination on your objection. If your objection is disallowed or only partly allowed, we will provide you with reasons for our decision.

If you are dissatisfied with our determination, you have the right to refer the matter to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal for review.

Refer to our information on FHOG appeals for guidance.

Payment pending a decision

We cannot make a demand for payment while an objection to a FHOG decision is being considered.

Please note, however, if you do not repay the FHOG or an associated penalty amount, interest will accrue on the outstanding amount calculated at the market and premium rates.

If your objection is unsuccessful, you must pay the outstanding tax as well as the accrued interest.