You are here

Below are answers to some frequently asked questions about payroll tax and PTX Express.

  1. How do you register?
  2. What are your payment obligations?
  3. How do you lodge a monthly return?
  4. When is your monthly return due?
  5. What payment options are available?
  6. Can you make changes to a lodged monthly return?
  7. How do you lodge the annual reconciliation?
  8. What happens if your business lodges a "nil" payroll tax return, fails to make a payment or complete its e-AR?
  9. What happens if your business makes a late monthly or e-AR payment?
  10. How do you update company records?
  11. How do you claim a refund?

How do you register?

It's quick and easy to register online for PTX Express. If you have any queries, please contact us on 13 21 61 or email (please put "PTX Express" in the subject field).

We will process your application to register after you have submitted your registration online. Most applications are completed within 14 days, but it may take up to 30 days or more if we need further information.

Once your registration is completed, we will send you a confirmation letter with your unique customer number and instructions on how to log in to PTX Express.

Go to PTX Express

You can then use PTX Express to manage your payroll tax obligations.

What are your payment obligations?

Every employer registered for payroll tax in Victoria must pay payroll tax monthly, unless we have given you approval to pay annually.

We will generally approve annual payments only if the tax payable for the previous financial year and the estimated tax payable in the following full financial year is less than $10,000.

If approved, you need only lodge an annual reconciliation (AR). We will retain the right to review your lodgement and payment cycle at any time.

How do you lodge a monthly return?

You must lodge your monthly return and pay online as follows:

  1. Log on to PTX Express and select from the menu to lodge a monthly return
  2. Select the correct liability period (such as 1 July 2014-31 July 2014)
  3. Enter your wages
  4. Lodge your return

Payment options will be displayed once you have lodged your return.

Note: to fulfil your payroll tax obligations you must lodge and pay your monthly return on time or penalty tax and interest may apply.

When is your monthly return due?

Returns must be lodged and paid within seven days after the close of the month to which the returns relate. If the seventh day falls on a weekend or public holiday, your return and payment will be due on the next business day.

For example, the payroll tax on wages paid in January must be paid to us by 7 February. In 2015, this was a Saturday, and making the return and payment due on 9 February.

If no tax is payable for a particular month, your business is required to lodge a “nil” return via PTX Express.

What payment options are available?

Pay online through PTX Express

The quickest and simplest way to pay is online through PTX Express using our secure Westpac-controlled online payment option.

Once you have registered your BSB and account number with us in PTX Express, upon your approval, we will be able to debit from your account your monthly return and end of year AR payments. A dual payment authorisation feature is also available.

Other options

You can also pay by EFT, BPAY, and credit card. Once you have lodged your monthly return or AR, you will be able to see the payment details for each of these options.

PTX Express will provide you with a unique reference number with each monthly return or AR so that you can allocate the payment to the correct monthly return.

Can you make changes to a lodged monthly return?

You can correct a previously lodged monthly return in PTX Express, by lodging a replacement monthly return to override it.

To do so, log into PTX Express and then select "Lodge a monthly return" from the PTX Express menu, and select the correct return period (such as 1 July 2014 - 31 July 2014). The next option will allow you to select "Lodge a replacement monthly return".

You will then be able to lodge the correct wage details and submit your changes.

How do you lodge the annual reconciliation?

You must use PTX Express to lodge your AR and pay online (an e-AR) as follows:

  1. Log on to PTX Express
  2. Select "Annual Reconciliation" from the menu to lodge an e-AR
  3. The relevant financial year should be displayed, select "Begin" from the Actions field
  4. Review your details including your employer type and your employing period during the financial year
  5. Enter your wages
  6. Review your payroll tax payments made during the financial year for the reconciliation period;
  7. Review the calculation for your amount of tax payable or amount overpaid
  8. Lodge your e-AR by selecting the "Lodge" button on the Lodgement page

A lodgement reference number and payment options will be displayed once you have lodged your return.

If you need more information on the e-AR, please refer to the e-AR frequently asked questions (FAQs).

What happens if your business lodged a “nil” payroll tax return, fails to make a payment or complete its e-AR?

If your business fails to comply with its monthly tax obligations by the seventh of any month, we will issue a default assessment including a penalty for non-payment and interest on the amount not paid.

The amount of penalty tax can vary between 5 per cent and 75 per cent of the tax that should have been paid, depending on the circumstances for the failure to pay.

Similarly, if you do not complete your e-AR at the end of the financial year, and fail to make payment if you are liable, you will be issued with a default assessment.

What happens if your business makes a late monthly or e-AR payment?

You may be issued a late payment assessment with penalty tax and/or interest.

How do you update company records?

You must tell us if your company details change during the financial year. This includes addresses (postal, trading and electronic), details of a contact person, wage estimates, grouping changes, legal name or employer status.

Your company records can be easily and quickly updated in PTX Express.

How do you claim a refund?

You can claim a refund on a monthly return for the current financial year by logging into PTX Express, using the “Apply for Refund” link in the PTX Express Menu and providing the requested details.

If your refund relates to the most recent AR, to claim your refund you will need to edit your e-AR and relodge it with your updated wage details. You will be able to claim your refund at the end of this process.

If you wish to apply for a refund for any other years, please use the "Apply for a Refund" link in PTX Express Menu and provide the requested details.