Skip to main content Skip to home page

2019-20 Victorian bushfires

If you have been impacted by the 2019-20 Victorian bushfires, we don’t want you to worry about your state taxes. The Victorian Government has announced a range of tax relief measures that may assist.

Requesting a change to your land tax assessment

It is your responsibility to tell us if there are any errors on your assessment, and you must contact us within 60 days of the issue date of your assessment or penalties may apply.

Most common changes and updates can be made online via My Land Tax or by calling us on 13 21 61, including:

  • Updating your contact details.
  • Removing land that you do not own.
  • Adding land that was not listed on your assessment.
  • Applying for an exemption for a property that should have been marked as your principal place of residence or as primary production land.

Have your assessment on hand along with any other information relevant to your request.

Update your details via My Land Tax

Newly built or renovated homes

If you have recently finished building a new home or have completed substantial renovations of an existing home, you may be eligible for a refund of the land tax you have previously paid on that property.

To apply for a refund, you need to provide us with a range of information.

More information and submit your refund request

Object to the valuations used in your assessment

We have used site valuations to calculate your land tax.

These valuations were conducted in 2020 by local councils or the Valuer-General as part of the regular state-wide general valuation process.

If you do not agree with the valuation used, you can lodge an objection directly with us.

You must lodge your objection within two months of receiving your assessment.

More about valuation objections

Formally object to your assessment

If you believe you have been incorrectly assessed and wish to formally dispute your land tax assessment notice, you will need to lodge an objection.

To object to your assessment, you must clearly detail in writing the grounds for your objection.

You can object in writing by post, or by completing our online objection form. Only use one of these methods. You must lodge your objection within 60 days of the issue of the assessment.

Even if you have lodged an objection, you must still pay your land tax by the due date or you will be charged interest. If you objection in successful, any amount overpaid will be refunded with interest.

Lodge an objection

More information

Our land tax page has comprehensive information about land tax, including how it is calculated, calculators and other tools to help you understand land tax.

More information about land tax

Last modified: 4 January 2021
Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please contact us online instead.
Back to top