Skip to main content Go to home page


Use this form to notify us of a change in land ownership. It should only be used for paper conveyancing transactions as a notice of acquisition is automatically generated and sent to Land Use Victoria when the transfer is completed within an Electronic Lodgement Network Operator (ELNO). 

A notice of acquisition should also be lodged when an Application by Surviving Proprietor is lodged with Land Use Victoria. This is used when a joint tenant on a property title has passed away and enables the surviving proprietor to apply to remove the deceased’s name, so that only their name remains on title.

Find out more about completing a notice of acquisition.

form iconLTX-Form-01 SmartForm

Lodge your notice

Find out more about lodging a paper notice of acquisition on the Land Use Victoria website.

Mail or deliver one notice of acquisition, together with the transfer of land form, to the Registrar of Titles:

Land Use Victoria
2 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000

The other copy of the notice must be sent to the relevant local council.

Explanatory notes

Every person who acquires land in Victoria must give notice to Land Use Victoria within one month of acquiring land or penalties may apply. 

It is important all details are accurately recorded on the form to ensure data integrity.

Transferor (Seller)


  • Include all parties registered on title, stating family name and given names in full. 
  • If a trust is involved, state the full name(s) of the trustee and the trust. For example, John Smith as trustee for the Smith Family Trust. 
  • If a company is involved, state the full name of the company and its Australian Company Number (ACN) or Australian Business Number (ABN).

Transferor’s contact details

  • Supply the transferor’s email address, address at the time of transfer and the future address for correspondence. If there is insufficient space, attach a list.

Contact details of transferor’s representative

  • Supply the name(s), contact number and email address of the transferor’s solicitor, conveyancer or agent, or N/A in the name field if they are not using one.   

Transferee (Buyer)


  • Include all parties to be registered on title, stating family name and given names in full. Provide date of birth for each person buying the property.
  • If a trust is involved, state the full name(s) of the trustee and the trust (for example, John Smith as trustee for the Smith Family Trust). In addition, the trustee must lodge a Notice of Trust Acquisition of an Interest in Land - LTX Trust 8 Form.
  • If a company is involved, state the full name of the company and its Australian Company Number (ACN) or Australian Business Number (ABN).
  • The first party named as the transferee on this Notice of Acquisition of an Interest in Land will be nominated to receive, if applicable, joint land tax assessments. If more than one transferee is involved, only one joint owner will receive the joint land tax assessment on behalf of all joint owners. Find out more about land tax.

Transferee’s contact details

  • Supply the transferee’s address at the time of transfer, the future address for correspondence, a contact number and email address. If there is insufficient space for the names and addresses, attach a list. Address at the time of transfer is required to ensure data is matched.

Principal place of residence

  • If the property will be the transferee’s principal place of residence, indicate ‘Yes’. If not, indicate ‘No’ and provide the address of the transferee’s principal place of residence.
  • Refer to more information about the principal place of residence exemption from land tax.

Details of title

  • To complete Part 3, refer to these documents:
    • certificate of title
    • plan of the property
    • transfer of land documentation
    • council rate notice.

Address of property being transferred

  • Include all property location details, for example, unit, office, suite or factory number if applicable.

Lot and plan number, volume, folio, crown allotment, section or portion, parish name

  • Refer to the plan and transfer of land documentation.

Municipality name and property number

  • This is the local government municipality (council) in which the land is located, for example City of Banyule or Shire of Southern Grampians, and the number by which your municipality identifies the land. This number can be found on the property's rate notice or by asking the relevant council.

Area of land or unit of entitlement

  • Supply the total area of the land being transferred and the unit of measure used, where relevant. For example, 5000 square metres or 200 hectares.

Unit of entitlement

  • Supply the unit of entitlement of the land of floor space being transferred. This refers to your share of ownership of the common property, for example 100:800.

Details of transaction

Total sale price (including GST)

  • This is the total amount paid or payable for the property. If no sale is involved, for example a transfer under a will or survivorship application, write ‘0’.


  • This is the amount paid as a deposit to secure the property.

GST amount

  • This is the amount of GST included in the property’s sale price.

Date of contract

  • This is the date the contract was signed. If there is no contract, leave blank.

Date of possession/transfer

  • State the date the legal possession of the property was transferred. In most cases this will be the date of settlement.

Terms sales

  • This information will determine when the transferee becomes liable (if at all) for land tax under a vendor terms sale contract.
  • A terms sale contract is a method of buying and selling property where the purchaser pays the purchase price to the vendor in instalments rather than paying the full amount of the purchase price by way of a home loan secured by a mortgage over the property.

Number of bedrooms

  • This information is used by the Valuer-General. If there are no bedrooms, leave blank.

Description of property

  • Refer to the land use codes listed on the SmartForm. This information is used by the Valuer-General.

Construction of main structure

  • This information is used by the Valuer-General.
Last modified: 6 October 2023
Back to top