The commercial passenger vehicle service levy (CPVSL), also known as the trip levy, is a $1.05 ($1.15 from 1 July 2023) levy that applies to every taxi and hire car trip, including ride share, originating in Victoria.
Helping you get it right
To help you get it right, we provide a range of information and tools, including:
- information on the commercial passenger vehicle service levy
- a decision tool to help you decide if you need to register for the commercial passenger vehicle service levy
- an online registration portal where you can also submit your quarterly returns and pay the levy.
Our compliance activities include:
- monitoring returns to ensure the levy is recorded accurately
- ensuring returns are lodged quarterly
- gathering information via the public, data-matching and other sources to ensure that commercial passenger vehicle services (taxi and hire car services, including ride share) comply with their obligations
- investigating suspect reporting of the levy
- verifying voluntary disclosures.
Common errors to avoid
- drivers or owners collecting the levy and not being registered when required
- registering under the wrong registration type
- failing to lodge accurate driver details including name, driver accreditation number (DC number) and ABN
- failing to lodge accurate trip data
- failing to lodge for one or more registration types (separate returns are required for each registration type)
- failing to lodge or pay quarterly returns by the due date
- failing to cancel registration when appropriate.