Skip to main content Go to home page

A $10,000 First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) is available when you buy or build your first new home.

The FHOG is $20,000 for new homes built in regional Victoria, for contracts signed from 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2021. (Read information about FHOG amounts available before 1 July 2013.)

Your first new home can be a house, townhouse, apartment, unit or similar. The amount paid for the home, that is the contract price for construction when building the home, must be $750,000 or less. 

The property must not have been previously sold as a place of residence, occupied as a home, or used for the provision of short-term accommodation, such as Airbnb. This means the first sale of a property will not be a new home if the person who built it lived in it, or leased it out or used it for short-term accommodation.

A new home can be a home that is substantially renovated, or a home built to replace demolished premises. It cannot be an investment property or a holiday house. 

​The FHOG may be paid in addition to other exemptions or concessions for eligible home buyers, including pensioners.

The timing of your FHOG payment depends on the contract you sign to buy or build your new home, and whether you lodge your application directly with us or via an approved agent.

Will I be eligible for the First Home Owner Grant?

What you need to know first

  1. In the majority of cases, the bank or credit union that is providing your finance (see the list of approved agents) will lodge the FHOG application form on your behalf. If you require the grant for settlement or first draw down/progress payment, you must lodge your application with an approved agent. Go to step 2.
  2. Only apply with us if an approved agent is not lodging the FHOG application form on your behalf. Applications cannot be lodged with us until after the completion of the eligible transaction. Go to step 1.
  1. Check your eligibility

    Your answers to questions in the FHOG online portal determines your eligibility to receive the grant. You can also use our online tool to assess your eligibility.

    You are not entitled to the FHOG if you or your spouse/partner have previously:

    • received a First Home Owner Grant in Australia
    • owned a home or other residential property in Australia, either jointly or separately, before 1 July 2000
    • occupied, for a continuous period of at least six months, a home which either of you owned or part-owned on or after 1 July 2000 in Australia.

    You may still be eligible for the FHOG if you or your spouse/partner purchased a property on or after 1 July 2000 and have not lived there as your home.

    Additionally, to receive the FHOG at least one applicant must:

    • must occupy the home as their principal place of reside (PPR) for at least 12 months, commencing within 12 months of settlement or completion of construction
    • be aged 18 or over (discretionary)
    • be an Australian citizen or permanent resident:
      • in the case of the purchase of a new home - as at the date on which the applicant/s become entitled to possession of the home under the contract, which generally occurs on the date of settlement
      • in the case of entering into a comprehensive building contract - as at the date on which the building is ready for occupation as a place of residence, which generally occurs when construction of the home is finished.

    New Zealanders holding a special category visa under s32 of the Migration Act 1958 and anyone holding a permanent visa under s30(1) are considered permanent residents for these purposes.

    New Zealand citizens must be living in Australia when the eligible transaction is completed.

    Full FHOG eligibility criteria are outlined in the lodgement guide.

    Penalties and interest will apply if you receive the FHOG and are not entitled to it.

  2. Gather supporting evidence (proof of identity)

    If you are lodging with an approved agent, each applicant and their spouse/partner must provide a copy (not the original) of a primary identity document and evidence of citizenship or permanent residency (a Category 1 document).

    If you are lodging directly with us, each applicant and their spouse/partner must provide a copy (not the original) of a current document from each of the four categories (i.e. four documents per person). A single document cannot be used for more than one category.

    Category 1

    A copy of a current primary identity document and evidence of citizenship or permanent residency (provide one document).

    If you are an Australian citizen:

    • Australian birth certificate
    • Australian passport
    • Australian citizenship certificate.

    If you are a citizen of another country:

    • current passport
    • Evidence of permanent residency or permanent residence visa, including the date on which it was granted.

    A New Zealand citizen:

    • current passport
    • movement record.

    * Applicants who are New Zealand citizens must be living in Australia upon completion of the eligible transaction. The movement record is to be supplied as evidence of this and can be obtained from the Department of Home Affairs.

    Category 2

    Evidence (photo and signature) of link between identity and person (provide one document).

    A copy of current:

    • Australian driver's licence
    • passport
    • Working with Children Check card.
    • firearms licence (if not used for Category 1)
    • Proof of Age card issued by the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (photo ID card).

    Category 3

    Evidence that each applicant and their spouse/partner reside in Australia (provide one document).

    A copy of current:

    • Medicare card
    • motor vehicle registration notice
    • Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs card.

    Additional supporting evidence

    Additional supporting evidence is required if any of the following applies to you:

    • married - a copy of your marriage certificate
    • divorced - a copy of your divorce certificate
    • widowed - a copy of the death certificate of your spouse/partner
    • separated - a statutory declaration with the following information:
      • the name of your former spouse/partner
      • former spouse/partner’s date of birth
      • the date you were married or started your domestic relationship
      • the date you separated or your former spouse/partner’s current address (if known)
      • a statement to the effect that you do not live together and have no intention of resuming living together
    • a member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF):
      • a copy of a document issued by the ADF showing your name and that you are a permanent member of the ADF at the commencement date of the eligible transaction, and
      • documentation confirming your enrolment on the Victorian electoral roll.

    Evidence of change of name is required if the name on any of the documents presented is different to the name of the applicant (e.g. change of name certificate, statutory declaration).

  3. Complete the application

    If you are lodging with an approved agent, you do not need to complete the application on this page.

    If you are lodging directly with us, each applicant should read our lodgement guide before completing and submitting their application.

    Supporting evidence relating to the transaction is required to be supplied.

    You can complete your application online, including supplying copies of your supporting documents. 

  4. Lodge the application

    If you are applying for the FHOG through an approved agent, they will lodge the application form on your behalf after you have signed it and had it witnessed.

    You must lodge your application within 12 months of settlement or completion of construction of your home.

    Important notes

    The date the grant is paid depends on whether you are building or buying. It also depends on whether you are applying directly to us or through an approved agent.

    If you are unable to meet your 12 month residency requirement because of a change in circumstances, you must notify us in writing within 14 days of the change. 

    If you believe you are eligible for the FHOG and we determine you are ineligible, you can contact us and seek a review of your application.

Last modified: 21 September 2022

News and updates

Back to top