Skip to main content Go to home page

Land tax is an annual tax based on the total taxable value of all the land you own in Victoria, excluding exempt land such as your home (principal place of residence).

Land tax is calculated using the site values (determined by the Valuer-General Victoria) of all taxable land you owned as at midnight on 31 December of the year preceding the year of assessment.

You may have to pay land tax if you own, either individually or jointly with others:

  • investment properties, including residential rental properties
  • commercial properties such as retail shops, office premises and factories
  • holiday homes
  • vacant land.

From 2024 as part of the Victorian Government's COVID Debt Repayment Plan, when the total taxable value of the non-exempt land you own is equal to or above the $50,000 threshold ($25,000 for trusts), you are liable to pay land tax.

Learn more about the COVID Debt Repayment Plan

Why have I received an assessment for the first time?

From 2024, the land tax threshold has been temporarily lowered to $50,000. The $25,000 threshold for trusts remains unchanged. If the total taxable value of all the Victorian property you owned, excluding exempt properties, at 31 December meets or exceeds this threshold, you will receive a land tax assessment.

Other reasons you may have received a land tax assessment for the first time include:

  • You have purchased non-exempt land in the past calendar year, such as an investment property or holiday home.
  • An exemption has been removed. For example, you may have started renting out what used to be your principal place of residence.
  • The value of your non-exempt land has increased to be equal to or above the threshold.

Find out more information on how to apply for a land tax exemption, including applying for a primary production land (PPL) or principal place of residence exemption (PPR).

Understanding your land tax assessment

Check your details online via My Land Tax

Before paying your assessment, you should check your property details we have on record are accurate via our online portal My Land Tax.

Registering is simple and takes less than 5 minutes. You will find all the details you need to register on your assessment notice.

Once logged in, click ‘Manage Properties’ and make sure all lands you own are listed, and that your home (PPR) is listed as exempt. If you need to make any changes, simply follow the prompts.

You can also update your personal details, view and pay your assessment or set up a payment plan via AutoPay, and select to go paperless for future assessments in My Land Tax.

Register for My Land Tax

Paying your assessment

There are 3 ways to pay your land tax assessment – via credit or debit card, BPAY, or in instalments via AutoPay.

If you choose AutoPay, you can pay your land tax assessment in fortnightly, monthly or in four equal payments up to 38-weeks from the issue date on your assessment.

AutoPay instalment plans are interest-free direct debit payments that can be set up any time before the pay in full due date, allowing customers to pay in instalments for a maximum of 38-weeks from the assessment issue date. It is important to pay or set up a payment instalment plan on time to avoid late payment interest and recovery action. 

AutoPay instalments must be set up annually as instalment amounts can change depending on your land tax liability.

Paying land tax for the first time? Use our interactive tool to learn more

Frequently asked questions

How is land tax calculated?
Land tax is calculated by applying the appropriate land tax rate to the total taxable value of the land holdings you own as at 31 December of the previous calendar year. Your total taxable value is the total site value of all of your lands using the site valuations from 1 January of the previous calendar year. However, your total taxable value does not include exempt land such as your home.  

Learn more about current and historical land tax rates

There is a property listed on my assessment that I no longer own. What do I do?
You can notify us through our online portal My Land Tax by selecting ‘Manage Properties’ and selecting ‘remove property’ from the drop down list on the relevant property.

Register for My Land Tax

Do I need to pay land tax on my holiday home?
Yes, holiday homes are not exempt from land tax. Even if you do not generate any income on this land, it is still liable for land tax if it is above the threshold.

I am currently building my principal place of residence on the land listed on my assessment. What do I do?
You can notify us through our online portal My Land Tax by selecting ‘Manage Properties’ and then ‘I live here or I intend to live here and want to apply for a principal place of residence exemption’ from the drop-down list on the relevant property.

What can I do if I disagree with my site value?
If you disagree with the site value on your assessment, you can object via our online portal within 2 months of receiving your land tax assessment. The Commissioner of State Revenue has no discretion to accept late objections.

Lodge a valuation objection

Can I object to my land tax assessment?
You do not need to lodge an objection to correct inaccurate information or make simple updates. You can update your contact details, remove land that you do not own or update your principal place of residence online via My Land Tax.  

If you think you have been assessed incorrectly and want to formally dispute your assessment, you can lodge an objection within 60 days of receiving your assessment. If you lodge your objection after the 60-day timeframe, you must provide reasons for the delay. If you do not provide reasons for the delay, your objection will be refused. 

An objection is a formal avenue of dispute resolution requiring you to explain the grounds of your objection and describe clearly the reasons why you disagree with your assessment. An objection is generally not valid if the grounds stated are vague, claim that the tax payable is too high or merely contend that an assessment or decision should not be issued on compassionate grounds.

Even if you have lodged an objection, you must still pay your assessment in full by the due date or you will be charged interest. If your objection is successful, any amount overpaid may be refunded with interest.

Lodge an objection

More frequently asked questions

Need help?

We encourage you to make use of the many self-service tools available in My Land Tax, such as adding or removing a property, requesting an exemption, updating your personal details, viewing and paying your assessment and setting up a payment plan via AutoPay.

If you require any further assistance, please contact us.

Last modified: 14 March 2024
Back to top