Skip to main content Go to home page

As an eligible pensioner you can receive a one-off duty exemption or concession when you buy a new or established home, valued up to $750,000, to live in as your principal place of residence (PPR).

Assistance is also available when you are buying your first home and when you are buying a property jointly with someone else, such as a partner or spouse.

To be eligible for the pensioner exemption or concession, you must:

  • hold a relevant concession card at the property settlement date
  • have never received a pensioner exemption/concession in Victoria
  • buy the property for market value
  • intend to live in the home as your principal place of residence.

If you also qualify for the First Home Owner Grant, you must elect to receive either the first-home buyer duty reduction or the pensioner exemption or concession, whichever is worth more. You cannot receive both. 

Eligible pensioners who have not claimed the exemption or concession and paid full duty can apply for refund up to 5 years after the duty was paid.

You can use our calculator to work out how much duty you have to pay as an eligible pensioner.

  1. Gather required information

    To apply for your pensioner exemption or concession using our all-in-one Digital Duties Form, you need:

    • particulars of the transactions, including title details, land use entitlements (if applicable), type of property and transfer (related parties)
    • occupancy requirement of the property
    • previous claims and eligibility
    • concession card details of all applicants.

    You also need to submit these documents with your application:

    • Original and completed transfer of land or land use entitlement form.
    • A copy of both sides of your concession card.

    For homes constructed after transfer, you must also supply:

    • a complete copy of the certificate of occupancy showing the mandatory inspection stages, and
    • a complete copy of the building contract (if applicable), or
    • if you are an owner/builder, receipts and a statement itemising construction costs not referred to in the building contract.

    For transactions where the vendor and the transferee are associated or related parties, you must also supply:

    • Proof of payment of the purchase monies and evidence of the market value.

    If you are applying for a refund

    You must complete the Duties Refund SmartForm and lodge it online via Duties Online or our public lodgement system.

  2. Complete your form

    The digital duties form can be completed on screen. If you are a registered user of Duties Online you can create a form under the ‘Create’ tab in the system.

    If you are a member of the public you must register and lodge via our public lodgement system. Registration is a simple process. You can electronically lodge scanned documents for a land transfer or declaration of trust via our website after you register with us

    If you are applying for a refund, you must complete the Duties Refund SmartForm and lodge it online:

Next Steps

We issue a duty assessment once we have verified all documentation and calculations.

You should maintain all relevant evidence for at least 5 years.

Last modified: 2 July 2024

News and updates

Back to top