This calculator works out the duty payable on registering or transferring ownership of a motor vehicle.
Different rates of duty apply depending on:
- The date you apply to register or transfer the vehicle’s registration.
- Whether it is a passenger car or another type of motor vehicle.
- The vehicle’s dutiable value.
The vehicle’s dutiable value is the purchase price, including any GST or luxury car tax and any works done before registration, or the vehicle’s market value (whichever is greater).
Rates can vary depending on whether the vehicle is new (being registered for the first time) or used (transfer of registration or reregistered to a new owner). This applies to transfers and registrations:
- Before 1 July 2019 – all vehicles.
- From 1 July 2019 – any vehicle that is not a passenger vehicle.
From 1 July 2019, a concession is available for green cars and primary producer passenger cars.
Calculate your motor vehicle duty
When you buy a used vehicle
After you have taken delivery of a used motor vehicle from a licensed motor car trader (LMCT), the LMCT must lodge with VicRoads the application for transfer of registration you signed, together with the motor vehicle duty and transfer fee amounts included in the vehicle's sale price.
The application form and fees must be lodged within 14 days of the vehicle's delivery date.
Once VicRoads has received the application, you should receive a vehicle registration transfer confirmation slip confirming you are the vehicle’s registered owner and detailing the duty and transfer fees paid by the LMCT.
If you have not received a confirmation slip within six weeks of buying your vehicle, contact your LMCT to ask why the vehicle registration has not been transferred into your name. If you are not satisfied with the LMCT's explanation, phone VicRoads on 13 11 71.
Terms and conditions
- This calculator may only be used for reference purposes.
- While the State Revenue Office (SRO) makes every attempt to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the automatic calculations provided in this service, you will acknowledge that there may be instances where the SRO is required to recalculate the figures submitted for assessment.
- These terms and conditions of use should be read in conjunction with the disclaimer contained on the website.
- There may be certain components in the calculator which may be the subject of other intellectual property rights reserved by the SRO or other third parties. No licence is granted in respect of these intellectual property rights.
- Any copies of the information, products, technology or processes must retain copyright and other intellectual property notices contained in the original material.
While the SRO makes every attempt to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information, products, technology or processes contained on this web site, the information, products, technology or processes should not be relied upon or used as a substitute for formal advice from the originating bodies or departments.
The information, products, technology or processes on the SRO website are provided on the basis that all persons accessing the site undertake responsibility for assessing the relevance and accuracy of its content, usage and result.
The use of or reliance on the information, products, technology or processes are subject to other terms and conditions to be found on this website.
The SRO, its employees and agents will not be responsible for any direct or indirect loss, howsoever caused or arising from the use of, or reliance on the information, products, technology or processes. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any information, products, technology, processes or services which may appear on any linked websites on the internet.