Skip to main content Go to home page

When we write to you about a principal place of residence (PPR) investigation into land you own, we will ask you for specific information.

Your cooperation will help us complete the investigation as quickly as possible and may also help reduce any penalties which may be imposed as a result of the investigation.

PPR exemption - common errors

  1. Identify your State Revenue Office contact

    The correspondence we send you will include the name of the investigator responsible for your matter, their contact details and our investigation case (IC) reference number.

    Whenever you contact us in relation to the matter, use these contact details and quote the investigation case reference number.

  2. Gather required information

    The correspondence we send you will outline any specific requests, but generally you will be asked to provide:

    • your current residential address, postal address, email and contact number
    • information on whether you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen with a special visa to stay in Australia — if you are none of these, tell us if you ordinarily reside in Australia and, if so, list the dates you lived in Australia during the investigation period
    • for the period under investigation, a list of all other Victorian land you own or owned, especially if we have not identified this property, including:
      • the names of any other owners
      • the sale and purchase settlement dates, and
      • whether you hold the land on trust.
    • details of the trust arrangement if the land was held on trust
    • details of how the lands were and are used, including:
      • whether you lived at any of the properties and if so what dates
      • whether the land was used for any other activities (with relevant dates), and
      • the dates for when any property was leased and details of the lease(s).
    • supporting evidence for any claims you make, including:
      • contracts of sale or transfer documents for each property
      • utility bills
      • bank statements
      • insurance policies
      • trust deeds and documents
    • any additional information you think would help resolve this matter.
  3. Lodge your response

    You can respond to our correspondence by email, mail or online or via a combination of these methods. You must respond by the due date specified in your correspondence. We ask that you provide electronic copies of your evidence, however you can provide hardcopy documents where an electronic version is not practical.

    You should address your correspondence to the investigator (if known) and quote our investigation case reference number.


    To lodge your response by email, use the investigator email address referenced at the top of your correspondence.


    If you have to provide us with any supporting evidence where it isn’t practical to provide an electronic version of that evidence, send to:

    State Revenue Office
    GPO Box 1641
    Melbourne VIC 3001


    If your investigation letter gives you the option to respond online, follow the prompts on screen. If some of your supporting evidence is not in an electronic format, send the hardcopies by mail.

    If you have any questions about how to supply your evidence, contact the investigator referred to in your correspondence.

Next Steps

Your response will form part of the investigation into the land you own. We will contact you if we require more information and will write to you when the investigation is finalised.

Last modified: 4 July 2023

News and updates

Back to top