This forms is used by building surveyors to notify the State Revenue Office of an application for a building permit on land within the GAIC area.
General information about GAIC
- The Growth Areas Infrastructure Contribution (GAIC) is a contribution on certain land in the growth areas of metropolitan Melbourne. It is imposed under Part 9B of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- The liability to pay the GAIC arises upon the first occurrence of a GAIC event, that is, the issuing of a statement of compliance, the making of an application for a building permit in respect of substantive building works, or a dutiable transaction relating to the land.
- The GAIC is jointly administered by the State Revenue Office and the Victorian Planning Authority (VPA).
Refusal of building permit
Under section 24(4) of the Building Act 1993, a building surveyor must not issue a building permit for building work on land in respect of which there is a GAIC recording unless the applicant produces any of these certificates issued by the Commissioner of State Revenue:
- Certificate of Release,
- Certificate of Exemption,
- Certificate of Staged Payment Approval,
- Certificate of No GAIC Liability.