Lodgement category: Trust Exemptions and Concessions
Transfer from a unit trust scheme (the principal scheme) to a unit holder:
- As trustee of a superannuation fund (super fund).
- All the beneficiaries of the super fund were beneficiaries at the relevant time.
The following information is required:
- The Digital Duties Form.
- A copy of the stamped principal unit trust scheme deed, together with any amending deeds.
- A copy of the super fund trust deed, together with any amending deeds.
- In relation to any trust deed for which a copy of the stamped deed cannot been produced:
- A statutory declaration declaring what steps have been taken to locate the original trust deed made by a person having knowledge of those steps. If an unstamped copy of the trust deed is available you are required to attach a copy and explain how it was obtained.
- Copies of the financial statements and income tax returns of the principal scheme for the last three financial years showing the property was an asset of the trust.
- Any other material showing that the property as an asset of the principal scheme, for example:
- A copy of the contract of sale for the purchase of the property by the trustee (showing capacity as trustee of the principal scheme).
- If the trustee is a corporation, minutes of a directors' meeting resolving to accept appointment as trustee of the principal scheme and that the principal scheme acquire the property.
- A copy of the historical certificate of title.
- A copy of the duly stamped transfer to the trustee of the principal scheme.
- Copies of the financial statements of the principal unit trust scheme for the last three financial years.
- If the property's title particulars have changed since the relevant time provide copies of the parent titles and the plan of subdivision or consolidation showing how the current title particulars were derived from the parent title.
- Evidence of the value of all the properties under the principal scheme immediately prior to the transfer, by one of the following:
- A letter of appraisal from a licensed real estate agent and a copy of the relevant rates notice.
- A valuation by a certified practising valuer who is a member of the API or by a member of the REIV with sworn valuer accreditation.
- A complete copy of the unit register for the principal scheme showing all changes in unitholdings from the relevant time to immediately after the transfer.
- A complete copy of the member register for the super fund showing all changes in membership from the relevant time to immediately after the transfer.
- A statutory declaration by the trustee of the principal scheme addressing the matters set out below:
- State the capacity of the person making the declaration.
- State whether the transfer to the transferee is to the unit holder of the principle scheme as trustee of a super fund trust.
Name of the super fund trust.
The relevant time
- State the date the property first became subject to the principal scheme Identify the provision of the principal scheme deed under which the transferee was a unitholder at the relevant time.
- State whether the trustee has held the property other than as trustee of the principal scheme; either before or after the relevant time, and if so explain in what other capacity they acted.
- Identify the provision of the principal scheme deed under which the trustee has the power to distribute capital to the unitholders.
- List all the assets and liabilities of the principal scheme at the date of transfer.
- State the value of each transferee's entitlement under the principal scheme immediately before the transfer.
- State the total value of all the assets of the principal scheme immediately before the transfer.
- State the unitholders proportion of the assets of the principal scheme that this transfer represents.
- State the unitholders proportion of the assets of the principal scheme at the relevant time.
- Explain how the transfer to the transferee has reduced the unitholder's unitholding in the principal scheme either by reference to the number of units held or the value of such units.
- State whether any prior distributions of property have been made to unitholders of the principal scheme, and if so identify the assets transferred and to whom.
Beneficiaries under the super fund
- Identify the provision in the super fund trust deed under which the beneficiaries (members) of the super fund are named.
- If any beneficiary of the super fund trust is not named in the super fund trust deed:
- Identify the type of beneficiary they fall into under the super fund trust.
- Explain how they became a beneficiary of the super fund trust deed.
- State when they became a beneficiary of the super fund trust.
Consideration and mortgage
- State whether the transfer is part of a sale or other arrangement under which there exists consideration for the transfer.
- State whether the transferee paid any amount to the transferor or to any other person in respect of the transfer.
- State whether the scheme has borrowed funds from another person other than a financial institution (e.g. unit holder loan accounts, loans from associates etc). State whether the transfer related to the forgiveness of any such loan. If yes, provide full details of the arrangement together with copies of loan statements before and after forgiveness of the loan.
- If loan accounts (as referred to in the previous point) exist and the loans are not to be forgiven as part of the transfer, state how the scheme intends to pay out the loans.
- State whether the property was encumbered by a mortgage, whether registered or unregistered, immediately before the transfer. If so, provide evidence of the amount owing under that mortgage immediately before and after the transfer (e.g. account statement, letter from the financier).
- State whether the mortgage liability was either:
- Assumed by the transferee.
- Paid out by the transferee with a new mortgage over the property that secures the same or greater amount as that outstanding under the mortgage that existed immediately before the transfer.
- If the mortgage liability was assumed or paid out by the transferee then state the circumstances for the initial mortgage, including:
- When was the mortgage created, in particular was it at or before the time the property became subject to the trust.
- Whether the mortgage was part of a refinancing of an earlier mortgage. If yes, provide details about when the earlier mortgage was created.
- Whether the mortgage was created to secure borrowings that have been applied to the improvement of the property. If yes, provide documentary evidence to support this.
- Whether the mortgage was obtained in connection with matters unrelated to the property. If yes, please set out what these other matters are.
- If the mortgage liability was not assumed or paid out in full by the transferee, explain how the mortgage liability was reduced or discharged and provide evidence of the source of funds (e.g. bank/financial statements).
Lodge 30 days before settlement through Duties Online
Last modified: 4 October 2021